Swinburne University students completed a proof-of-concept of Bunjil Forest Watch in 2012.
- allows a local group to register an area of interest with a web form
- allows a volunteer to sign up.
- checks the USGS Landsat RSS feed for new images of the area.
- downloads matching images, extracts the relevant bands and computes an NDVI image.
- emails the volunteer with a link to viewer the NDVI image beside the previously stored image.
- allows the volunteer to compare the images and
- allows the volunteer to add a place mark and create a report.
- emails the local group with the report
The proof of concept was completed with Ruby on Rails.